Recently, I appeared on Montreal’s CJAD 800 Newstalk Radio to chat with fellow technology journalist Marc Saltzman about Mattel’s latest innovation: Mattel Apptivity.
Mattel Apptivity truly represents the future of play. It bridges the traditional physical toy with the digital component. Now, there truly is an app for everything!
Merging age-appropriate technologies and traditional play, Mattel continues to deliver meaningful and innovative play with the development of Mattel Apptivity. The toy is safe and fun: the figurines are made with a conductive plastic that can be moved around the screen smoothly without scratching your screen.
Mattel has world class brands and leverages these brands and licenses for Apptivity. Apps for Hot Wheels, WWE, Batman and Angry Birds are already available online, and the Apptivity toys will be available in store in September, including Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja.
Fun facts, courtesy of Mattel:
- More and more families are using tablets together as a way to interact and bond rather than watching the television. Mattel Apptivity is about family play, family time, and family togetherness
- 1 in 4 families own an iPad
- iPad owners love accessories
- 83% of tablets are used at home by ALL family members, in the family room
- 26% of free time is toy & digital play
- iPad dominates tablet category with 78% share
- 40% of Canadians are interested in purchasing a tablet this year
- 44% of existing tablet owners are female
- Average age of a tablet owner is 39 years
I had my chance to play with the toys over the past month of announcing the presence of this product in Canada. Without a doubt, Mattel Apptivity will be a huge hit come holiday season.
These are the perfect toys, giving you hours of fun on end, and are ideal for stocking stuffers, birthday presents, and taking on long road trips to the cottage. Simply throw them in your purse or backpack, and pull them out when your child needs some entertaining. Gone are the days of your kids saying, “Are we there yet?”.
The app-compatible toys price from $14.99 each. Mattel Apptivity toys are available now at most local toy retailers, and the apps are free to download from the App Store.
More details at www.mattelapptivity.com.
Tech Talk with Marc Saltzman airs each Sunday from 5-6 p.m. on CJAD 800 AM in Montreal, or around the world on www.cjad.com. CJAD is a division of Astral Media.
Disclaimer: I have been hired by Mattel as a spokesperson for Apptivity, but please note that the opinions reflected on my experience with Apptivity are my own.